CoinArchives.com – collectible ancient coins
CoinArchives.com describes itself as “a repository of coins previously featured in major numismatic auctions”. It hosts a large database of auctioned collectible and rare coins for collectors, dealers and enthusiasts to access.
CoinArchives.com describes its objective in the following terms:
“Its goal is to make entire auction catalogues, including textual lot descriptions, images, and prices realized, available to Internet users after each auction's completion.”
Foundation and ownership
The website was created by coin collector AJ Gatlin. It was originally intended to operate as a private price guide database for Gatlin, but was subsequently opened to the public in 2002.
The website can be divided into two major sections – ancient coins and world coins.
The former covers coins from the ancient world (for example, Greek and Roman coins), while the latter covers coins struck between the medieval and modern era.
Each archive contains thousands of entries with the same format:
- Auction house, name , location and date
- Lot number
- Price realised
- Lot description and estimate
- An image of the coin, obverse and reverse
Accompanying the databases is an FAQ page, providing information about the website history and the database.
For a subscription fee, collectors and dealers can upgrade to a ‘pro’ version of CoinArchives.com, granting access to more auctions.
This is an advanced research platform for commercial dealers and active collectors of ancient and world coins.
CoinArchives Pro helps visitors to the website:
- Gather recent and historical market information
- Research the rarity of coins on the auction market
- Make better buying and selling decisions
- Identify and attribute coins
- Trace pedigrees
Features of the service include:
- Full access to a searchable and browsable archive of more than 1 million auction records
- Enhanced search tools
- Multiple auction lot viewing and sorting options
- Analysis and side-by-side coin comparison features
According to the website, CoinArchives Pro is “the most powerful tool on the Web for numismatic professionals.”
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.