Jan Stanislawski (Artist)
Jan Stanisławski was a Polish modernist painter, art professor and graphic designer.
Stanisławski was the originator of various art groups and societies and one of the most vivid persons of the Polish artist’s society of his times. He was born on June 24, 1860 in Olshana near Korsun, Ukraine. After studies at Warsaw University and at the Imperial Technical Institute in St. Petersburg, he enrolled in the School of Fine Arts in Kraków and subsequently at the university in Paris, France.
Since then on, his works were exhibited at the several places, including inauguration of the Salon du Champ-de-Mars in Paris, his exhibition at the Friends of the Arts Society in Kraków or exhibitions in Berlin, Dresden, Prague, and Kraków. Jan Stanisławski died on January 6, 1907 in Kraków, Poland. He was 46.
Guide for collectors
Although the very size of Stanislawski's paintings has made them amongst the most stolen in Poland, many museums, galleries and private collections include Stanisławski’s works. For example: The National Museum in Krakow (this museum includes Stanislawski's Sapphire Dnieper, Cathedral in Siena, Zakopane in Winter, Poplars near the Water, Landscape of Sieniawa on the River Rosia, Fortress in Verona or Sunflowers and Cottages), Poland; The National Museum in Warsaw (including Pustawarnia in Ukraine, Mykhaylovska Church in Kiev, Ukrainian Thistle in Sunshine, Barbakan or Night (Cottages in the Moonlight), Poland; Polish Museum of America (containing his Man Sitting on a Fence), Chicago, USA; Lviv Picture Gallery, Lviv (containing his Orchard with a Apple-tree, Ukrainian Thistle, St. Michael's Cathedral in Kiev, Santa Maria della Salute in Venice, Orchard. Biala Cerkiew or Evening), Ukraine or Silesian Museum (containing his Summer), Katowice, Poland
Most expensive work
The Stanisławski’s work called Harvest was sold for $25 800 on 21, March 2010 at Agra-art SA auction - one of the greatest Polish auction houses specializing in Polish fine and contemporary paintings. Worth mentioning is also his Moon, sold for $18 000 on 5, December 2010, also at Agra-art SA auction, Poland.
Most Famous works
Besides Harvest and Moon, several other Stanisławski’s paintings are considered as masterpieces of contemporary art. For example:
- Landscape with Village and Pond, ar. 1900 (sold for $16 100 USD on 6, March 2005 at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland);
- W bujnej zieleni traw (sold for $11 100 USD on 3, June 2001 at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland),
- Vistula bend, 1900-1905 (sold for $13 300 USD on 13, June 2010 at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland);
- Place de la Concorde w Paryżu (sold for $10 400 on 14, March 1999 at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland);
- Tatras (sold for $11 900 on 17, October 2010 at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland) ;
- A haystack; and The vegetable garden (sold for £6,463 on 6, April 2000 at Christie's auction in London, UK);
- Wieczór księżycowy, ok. 1900 (sold for $7 700 on 15, December 2002 at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland)
- Chmury (sold for $8 300 on 2, June 1996, also at Agra-art SA auction in Warsaw, Poland).
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.