Unusual Wine Labels
Unusual Wine Labels is a website dedicated to unique, uncommon and unfamiliar wines and wine labels. According to the website, it was created by Peter F May and displays over 230 unusual labels.
“This site celebrates unusual wines. Unusual varieties, wines from unusual places, and wines with distinctive, weird and funny labels.”
The website displays and discusses unusual wine labels from 34 countries, dating from 1972 onwards. It also contains articles on wine and wine travels.
This section discusses unusual varieties of wine available to collectors and enthusiasts, drawing emphasis away from the most well-known types.
Some of the unusual varieties listed include Humagne Rouge, Marechal Foch, Greco and Chelois.
Unusual Wine Labels includes a section on unique wine locations – unusual due to their geographical, political and climatic environment.
Examples discussed include:
- Africus Rex, grown in the cold and wet Ontario area of Canada
- Dragon Seal, produced in China – an emerging wine market
- Ch Musar, a wine from Lebanon and produced throughout the civil war which lasted from 1975 to 1990
This section is the main highlight of the website. There are many unusual labels listed, accompanied by pictures. Examples include:
- Fat Bastard Chardonnay – featuring a hippo
- Kenwood – featuring a nude lying in a vineyard
- Cardinal Zin – featuring a Ralph Steadman illustration of a Cardinal
- Marilyn Merlot – featuring American actress, Marilyn Monroe
This section is a catch-all for wines that do not necessarily fall into the above categories due to other unusual aspects.
Unusual Wine Labels contains a number of links to wineries, wine label collection websites, wine label makers, and general wine websites.
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.