What Are The Most Common Plumbing Problems?
As a homeowner you’ll have to deal with problems several times in your life. These issues vary on scale, the time required to fix them and the expenses incurred. You will be able to deal with smaller problems such as dripping faucet or a running toilet using hand tools without the intervention of an expert. In case of serious problems such as clog in your drain or sewer system you need to get it fixed by a professional plumber. They not only solve your plumbing issue but also prevent it from reoccurring soon.
Let us now take you through the most common plumbing issues and also educate you on when you need to hire a plumber for the job -
· Dripping Faucets – If there is vote on the most common plumbing issue, this would surely top the charts. Faucets are an integral part of modern day living and save you from the old-world lifestyle of storing water. Dripping faucets are annoying due to constant sound apart from wasting hundreds of gallons of water and adding to your water bills. Faulty washers, gasket or O-rings are the most common reasons behind leaking faucets. You can fix this easily without burning a hole in your pocket. Ignoring it can lead to hundreds of dollars’ worth of replacement and plumbing work. Fix the problem as soon as you spot it or hire a plumber if you don’t feel confident about handling the job call in a plumber.
· Running Toilet – This is as common as a dripping faucet and also leads to wastage of water and increasing your water bill. There are dozens of parts inside your toilet and if one of them malfunctions you’d be left with a running toilet. You need to figure out the exact reason behind the problem and fix it. There are times when it might require a part replacement, and you can find these at nearby stores. If you can’t fix the problem yourself get in touch with a plumber to do the needful.
· Leaking Pipes – Pipes wear with time and they can leak. If excessive pressure is applied on a certain area of the pipe, they can start to leak. A leaking pipe can damage your walls, furniture and lead to mold infestation if left unattended. You can fix this by applying tapes, fillers and compounds to the damaged area. If this doesn’t solve the problem, you might need to get the pipe replaced completely with professional help.
· Low Water Pressure – Experiencing drop in water pressure can throw your life out of gear. This can lead to your washing machine, dishwasher etc. not running at their optimal efficiency which adds to the power bills. Before you try to fix the problem, you need to identify the reasons behind it. If everyone in the neighborhood is facing the same problem it may be a problem with the main line and needs to be fixed by your local body. If the problem is in your home, you might need to get the narrower old pipes replaced that aren’t able to meet your lifestyle needs. People in older properties often face this problem when they are running the shower, dishwasher and washing machine simultaneously. If you can’t identify the reason, you should call in a plumber.
· Slow Draining Sinks – Clogs are the most common reason behind slow draining sinks. Accumulation of grease and soap can lead to this problem. If the problem is minor, you can pour in a chemical drain cleaner and it will do the job. You can also disconnect the u-bend trap and clean it. If these don’t work, you must get in touch with an expert.
· Clogged Shower/Bath Drain – Hair, grease and soap are the most common culprits behind this problem and you are likely to face it every few years if not less. You should try the same steps as we have mentioned above for your tub or shower room. If these don’t help you need to get down to the vent pipe and clean it. Vent pipes are meant to equalize the pressure on the line with the atmospheric pressure. These usually get clogged with bird droppings, leaves and dust particles reducing their efficiency. Clean it, and you should get rid of the problem. If not, get in touch with a plumber.
Sewer Backup - Talk about plumbing problems and this can be your worst nightmare. These are not only complex and expensive to fix but they can make your property unliveable in a short span of time. You can identify this problem when all the drains in your property start malfunctioning simultaneously. The complexity with this problem increases as you need to figure out whose responsibility it is to fix the problem. Inside your property you are responsible for fixing it while if it is on the road your water/sewer company is responsible for the fix. Call in a plumber to pinpoint the problem area and suggest you necessary course of action.
To conclude, these are the common plumbing problems and if you lack the tools or confidence to handle the problem you need to get in touch with a professional plumbing company to fix the problem.
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.