Lot 37: Endorsement signature, "U. S. Grant," at the conclusion of manuscript DS signed "E. D. Townsend," one page, 10 x 8, August 6, 1867. Grant signs on August 9 to approve the document and forward it to the secretary of war. In part: "Case of Military Reservation at Camp Goodwin, AT [Arizona Territory]…Major G. Chapin, 14th Infantry, Commanding Camp Goodwin, forwards a sketch of the Military Reservation at that Post with the following description: 6 miles square—Northern Boundary of the Gila River, the channel of which averages a depth of 2 feet. A small stream, Tuloiosa rises in the swamp lands immediately adjoining the S.E. side of the Camp…Reservation composed chiefly of gravelly mesas, rising and falling at various altitudes and covered with stunted shrubs and different varieties of cacti…Forwarded by General McDowell…approved and recommending that the military reservation be made by the proper authority, and stating that 'it is needed of the size indicated because of the small quantity of arable land it contains and the necessity of keeping a large number of Indian prisoners upon it.'" In very good condition, with a vertical fold passing through a single letter of Grant's signature, repaired separations to the two main vertical storage folds, and scattered toning. Camp Goodwin was originally used as an Army base during the Apache War and for protecting settlers in the Upper Gila River region. It was abandoned in 1871 due to frequent outbreaks of malaria, but subsequently used as a subagency of the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation until about 1884. One of Grant's chief policies in his campaign platform the year after this document was an 'Indian Peace Policy' to establish reservations and reduce frontier violence.
RR Auction's Fine Autographs and Artifacts Auction 462
Wednesday, 14th October 2015
Write a response...