SCP Auctions (Sports Memorabilia)
SCP Auctions is one of the United States’ largest auction houses specializing in sports memorabilia and trading cards. It conducts online auctions three times per year, which consistently feature some of the world’s rarest and most valuable items of memorabilia.
The company was founded in 1979 by David Kohler, and is based in Southern California.
Kohler was also a founding board member of the Sports Collectibles Association International (SCAI), which promoted ethics in the sports collectibles industry.
Throughout its history has been involved in some of the most important sales of memorabilia in the industry’s history.
It has sold the private collections of Honus Wagner, Casey Stengel, Pee Wee Reese, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cousy and George Mikan, along with the historic Bill Nowlin bat collection and the Kirk Harris T206 tobacco card collection.
Services and expertise
The company’s leading figures David Kohler, Clay Hill, Allen Miller and Calvin Arnold have over 100 years of industry experience between them.
It is the only sports memorabilia specialist to have worked in partnership with Sotheby’s on a number of high-profile sales, and is a regular presence at all the major trade shows around the world.
The company offers a number of services, including:
- An authentication service which employs the services of some of the industry’s best independent companies including PSA/DNA (Professional Sports Authenticator) and MEARS (Memorabilia Evaluation and Research Services).
- A consultation service offering expertise in every area of collecting, from beginning a collection to investing in sports memorabilia.
The company has been involved in a number of high profile sales of both trading cards and memorabilia, including:
- The Finest known T206 Honus Wagner tobacco card graded PSA NM-MT 8 - $2,800,000
- 1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays PSA MINT 9 - $78,832
- Babe Ruth's signed Louisville Slugger bat used to slam the first home run in Yankee Stadium - $1,265,000
- The contract selling Babe Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees - $996,000
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.