Savage Arms Company Firearms
Savage Arms Company Firearms are guns produced by American firearms manufacturer Savage Arms.
Background & history of production
Savage Arms was founded in 1894 by Arthur Savage in New York. 20 years saw them producing rifles, handguns and ammunition.
Savage introduced the very first hammerless lever-action rifle known as the Model 1895. This had evolved from Arthur Savage’s 1892 rifle, designed for Colt but not taken up by the U.S. army. The Model 1895 then developed into the highly successful Model 1899 (Model 99), which remained in production for almost 100 years.
Savage marketed a series of .32 and .380 caliber pocket pistols. These were Models 1907, 1915 and 1917. They also produced Model 1899 muskets for the Montreal Home Guard during World War I. They were one of the few American makers of affordable double barrelled shotguns, the Fox Model B and Model 311.
During World War I, Savage arms were commissioned to manufacture extra Lewis machine guns. They moved on to heavy munitions in World War II, Thompson submachine guns and No. 4 Lee-Enfield bolt action rifles.
Savage Arms Company firearms are not to be confused with the firearms of the Savage Revolving Firearms Company (Savage F.R.A.Co) who were active in the 1860s.
Savage manufactured many designs of firearms other than just their own for American and British troops during the two world wars. A collector may choose just to collect those firearms Savage put their own name to.
The models 1895 and 99 hammerless lever-action rifles are probably the most collectible, being the first of their kind and widely used.
Price Guide & notable auction sales
Savage firearms generally sell for a few hundred pounds or dollars.
- Savage arms company Model 1914 slide action rifle, sold for $575 at Heritage Auctions in April 2012.
- Savage arms company Model 1899 Short Rifle, sold for $657,25 at Heritage Auctions in December 2010.
- Savage arms company .22 Hornet model 99 lever-action rifle, sold for £597 at Sotheby’s in August 2002.
- .250 Savage arms company sporting rifle sold for £1,875 at Christie’s in November 2007.
Notable models of Savage Arms Company firearms
- Model 1895 hammerless lever-action rifle
- Model 99 hammerless lever-action rifle
- Savage Pocket Pistols, models 1907, 1915 and 1917
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.