Royal Dux is a type of porcelain manufactured by a company in the town of Duchov in the Czech Republic. It is known for its Art Nouveau-style figurines, highly decorative vases, candlesticks, bowls and other items.
The company was established in 1853, and in 1860 became ‘E.Eichler Thonwaren-Fabrik’ when it was purchased by the successful model-drawer Eduard Eichler. Its main products were faience and majolica, for which it was awarded a Silver Medal at the 1878 Paris Exhibition.
At the turn of the century the company expanded to include a head office in Berlin, and began producing a large range of porcelain figurines.During this period the manufacturer found great success, due largely to its model-designer Alois Hampel who created a series of Art Nouveau figurines. It started to export its porcelain and faience figurines across Europe and the United States, winning awards such as the Grand Prix prize at the world exhibition in St Louis in 1904 and the silver medal at the exhibition in Milano in 1906.
Collecting Royal Dux porcelain
The majority of company records were destroyed during World War II, meaning there is very little information about it available. This also means it can be difficult to date certain pieces accurately, but there is some information in terms of markings.
In 1900 the company first used the ‘Pink Triangle’ mark which distinguished its products to this day - a rose coloured triangle made from pink porcelain with the inscription ‘ROYAL DUX BOHEMIA’ around an acorn. Beneath this acorn is the letter ‘E’, which stands for Eichler. Records show that this logo was trademarked in 1912, and continued to be used until the end of the 1940s when the ‘E’ was replaced with a ‘D’.
In 1918 the Pink Triangle logo was joined by the "Made in Czechoslovakia" mark, which was stamped on pieces due to import and export laws that stated all exports must mention their country of origin.
Royal Dux porcelain can be broadly categories by four production periods, recognisable by differences in the triangle logo.
1860 – World War I: The letter ‘E’ appears in the center of the triangle, beneath the acorn
1919 – World War II: The term Made in Czechoslovakia is marked on the pieces, stamped in ink near the triangle (but never in it).
1947 – 1990: The letter ‘E’ is replaced with the letter ‘D’, as the factory was renamed Duchcovsky Porcelain after the region of Duchov. The Made in Czechoslovakia stamp is also discontinued.
1990 – present day: Pieces start to include both Made in Czechoslovakia and Made in Czech Republic stamps.