HIP Pocket Change
HIP Pocket Change is a website run by the United States Mint, aimed at encouraging the hobby of coin collecting amongst children. The ‘HIP’ stands for ‘History In your Pocket’, and the site features a wealth of information about the history of coins and the Mint itself, a series of online games and cartoons, tips for young collectors and other educational activities.
The Collectors’ Club section includes features such as:
- ‘10 facts coin kids should know’.
- ‘Inspector Collector’s coin course’, featuring a number of lessons for children.
- ‘How to share your hobby’, which suggests how kids can get their friends interested in the hobby.
- ‘Find a coin club’, with enables collectors to find a club in their area.
- ‘Scout’s Corner’, which shows how coin collecting can lead to a scout merit badge.
The section also includes a glossary of collecting terms, information on different finishes and a link to a library of related articles for further reading.
Coins and Medals
This section has information on the various types of coin available to younger collectors, including commemorative series and different denominations. Categories include:
- Circulating Coins
- Presidential $1 Coins
- Bicentennial Coins
It also has features on coin production, the story of how they are created from legislation to circulation and a virtual tour of the U.S Mint itself.