Gilmore Car Museum
The Gilmore Car Museum is based in Hickory Corners in Michigan, and features one of America’s finest collections of antique, vintage and classic cars.
The museum was established by noted car collector Donald S. Gilmore in 1966. After receiving an antique car from his wife Genevieve as a gift in 1963, Gilmore restored the vehicle and began to build a collection of similar historic automobiles.
As the collection grew to 30 vehicles, Gilmore purchased land and rebuilt a number of historic barns in which to house it. At the suggestion of his wife he decided to turn the site into a museum for the public, which it remains to this day.
Attractions and exhibits
The museum features numerous attractions across its 90 acres, along with the collection of cars and automobilia.
The museum is housed inside eight large historic barns which have been dismantled and rebuilt in their current location. It also features an accurate recreation of a 1930s Shell station built from original blueprints, which includes memorabilia, gas pump globes and a 1950s pickup truck parked inside.
In addition, visitors get the chance to eat in an original 1941 Silk City Diner, formerly known as the Blue Moon Diner in Connecticut before being fully restored and shipped to Michigan in 2004.
Amongst the exhibits are:
- ‘American Luxury’, which features the finest in American automobiles of the classic era including Duesenbergs, Auburns, Packards, Cadillacs and Lincolns.
- ‘A Question of Power: Gas, Steam, or Electric’, which displays vehicles from throughout automotive history which have used alternative or experimental sources of energy.
- ‘Michigan Dream Garage — The Ultimate in Muscle Cars’ includes 24 of the most spectacular and popular American Muscle cars of the 1960s and 70s.
- ‘The Tucker Historical Collection and Library’, which features a rare Waltz Blue Tucker '48 along with an accurate recreation of the legendary car designer’s office
- A comprehensive collection of American Pierce-Arrow vehicles including several cars, a motorcycle and a pair of bicycles.
The museum plays host to numerous events throughout the year, including a series of regular classic car ‘cruise-ins’ during the summer, the Red Barns Spectacular Car Show and Swap Meet, the Mad Dogs & Englishmen British Car Fair and the Vintage Motorcycle Show.
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.