Cairns Stamp Club (Queensland, Australia)
Cairns Stamp Club is a club for postage stamp collectors in Cairns, Queensland, Australia.
The club was formed on September 13 1935 by a group of around 14 people who went to Norton’s Café on Abbot Street to discuss stamps.
From then on the group continued to meet on a monthly basis.
By 1938, the club merged with the Naturalist Club and their first exhibition was held at the Hibernian Hall.
The club temporarily disbanded in 1941 when the threat of World War II was looming.
Dr Flecker was named the club’s patron at the club’s Annual General Meeting in 1945 at the Masonic Club, with 21 people attending.
Over the years, the number of members of the club dwindled and in 1955 the club ceased operating for 21 years.
In October 1976, 17 philatelists reformed the Cairns Stamp Club.