American Gem Trade Association
The American Gem Trade Association (AGTA) is a trade association for gemstone traders and jewellers in the Unites States and Canada.
It is one of the industry’s leading trade associations with over 1,000 members, and is recognised in the gemstone and jewellery communities as playing an important role in regulating the industry.
Members are bound by a strict code of practice which ensures high levels of ethical trading standards, customer service and consumer protection.
The Association pursues its goals through the combined use of educational programs, publicity, industry events, government and industry relations, and printed materials for both the trade and consumer.
The aims of the association are presented in their official mission statement. These are:
- To represent and further the interests of the natural coloured gemstone, pearl and cultured pearl industries in the United States and Canada.
- To promote, maintain and perpetuate the highest ethical standards among the Members of AGTA and within the coloured gemstone industry.
- To protect the natural coloured gemstone, pearl and cultured pearl industries, related industries, and ultimately, the consumer from fraud, abuse, misrepresentation and deceptive advertising related to coloured gemstones.
- To create a greater awareness of and knowledge about coloured gemstones and act as a source of information for the jewellery trade to disseminate to the consumer.
- To educate these industries, related industries and the consumer about natural coloured gemstones, pearls and cultured pearls.
- To assist the consumer in identifying dealers of integrity in the natural coloured gemstone, pearl, and cultured pearl industries.
- To assist the natural coloured gemstone, pearl and cultured pearl industries in identifying dealers of integrity in the wholesale coloured gemstone marketplace.
- To establish closer communication and information-sharing between the AGTA and all segments of the jewellery trade and related industries.
Board of directors
The AGTA board consists of the following members:
- President - Benjamin Hackman
- Vice President – Robert Bentley
- Vice President - Kambiz Sabouri
- Treasurer - Sam Poddar
- Peter Bazar
- Ruben Bindra
- Sushil Goyal
- Betty Sue King
- Bill Larson
- Glenn Lehrer
- Gerry Manning
- Niveet Nagpal
- Joe Orlando
- Ambrish Sethi
- Lois Wacholtz
- Bear Williams
Past President - Barbara Lawrence
CEO - Douglas K. Hucker