Space Memorabilia Index
Space Memorabilia Index Highlights
Yearly increase between 2004-2014 of Apollo lunar-flown ballpoint pens, the index's best performer
2014 value of Apollo 11 mission flown 4"x6" US flags mounted on crew-signed certificate, the index's most valuable item
Average annual increase for the JustCollecting Space Memorabilia Index between 2004 and 2014
Value of excellent condition Neil Armstrong signed photos
Investing in space memorabilia: new index reveals the best performers since 2004
Apollo Lunar-flown ballpoint pens have provided the best return on investment of any regularly traded item of space memorabilia over the past 10 years. That's the headline figure from the inaugural edition of the JustCollecting Space Memorabilia Index.
- Apollo mission ballpoint pens carried to the Moon aboard lunar modules are valued at $40,000, up 27.58% a year from $200 in 2004.
- Other strong performers include Yuri Gagarin signed photos, and signed Apollo 13 mission-flown system data books.
- The index, which focuses on rare yet regularly traded pieces of space memorabilia, has climbed by 10.35% a year on average since 2004.
- The most valuable items on the index are 4"x6" US flags flown on the Apollo 11 mission, mounted on a presentation certificate signed by the crew. They are valued at $50,000, up 7.18% per annum from $25,000 in 2004.
Best performing items of space memorabilia between 2004-2014
- Apollo mission lunar module-flown ballpoint pens: up 27.58% per annum to $40,000
- Yuri Gagarin signed photos: up 20.40% pa to $3,200
- Signed Apollo 13 mission-flown system data books: up 17.46% pa to $15,000
- Neil Armstrong signed photos: up 16.06% pa to $13,300
- Moonwalkers signed photos – complete set of 12: up 15.03% pa to $39,100
Most valuable space memorabilia items in the JustCollecting Space Memorabilia Index
- Apollo 11 mission flown 4"x6" US flags mounted on crew-signed certificate: $50,000
- Apollo mission lunar module-flown ballpoint pens: $40,000
- Moonwalkers signed photos – complete set of 12: $39,100
- Apollo 11 Robbins medal (flown): $25,000
- Apollo 15 Robbins medal (flown): $23,000
"Most of us will never experience space. Which explains why space-flown items are in such high demand. Their travels imbue them with an almost mystical aura.""
"The index demonstrates that it is space's most feted explorers that capture collectors' interest the most. Memorabilia from first man in space Yuri Gagarin, first mission to the Moon Apollo 11, and the 'successful disaster' that was Apollo 13 are all in high demand."
"As we approach the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing, in 2019, expect to see values for memorabilia from the mission – and space collectibles in general – to take a significant step forward."
About the JustCollecting Space Memorabilia Index
The JustCollecting Space Memorabilia Index tracks the value of regularly traded space memorabilia, using analysis of auctions and private sales, in addition to expert opinion.
Values shown are reflective of "very good" condition examples – unless otherwise stated.