Rare Handbag Index
Rare Handbag Index Highlights
Annual increase between 2004-2016 of the Chanel 2.55 Medium Classic Flap Bag, the index's best performer
2016 value of a Hermes 1990s Cognac Leather Birkin 40cm bag, the most valuable handbag in the index
Average annual increase of the JustCollecting Handbag Index between 2004 and 2016
Rise in value between 2014 and 2016 of the Hermes 1990s Cognac Leather Birkin 40cm bag – the index's best recent performer
Investing in handbags: index reveals the best long-term performers
Investment grade handbags have grown in value by 7.8% a year on average since 2004, reveals the JustCollecting Handbag Index, updated in February 2016.
- The Chanel 2.55 Medium Classic Flap Bag supplied the best return on investment of the handbags included in the index – up 10.6% per annum.
- Hermes' 1990s Cognac Leather 40cm Birkin has top performed in the past two years – up 30% to $13,000.
- Other standout manufacturers since 2004 were Emilio Pucci, Christian Dior, and Coach.
- The most valuable handbag in the index was the Hermes 1990s 40cm Cognac Leather Birkin.
Best performing handbags 2004-2016
- Chanel 2.55 Medium Classic Flap Bag: up 10.6% per annum to $5,000
- Hermes 1990s Cognac Leather 40cm Birkin: up 10.3% pa to $13,000
- Emilio Pucci 1970s Black Leather & Velvet Pucci handbag: up 8.8% pa to $550
- Christian Dior Lady Dior Cannage: up 8.5% pa to $4,000
- Coach 1960s Leather Sling Bag: up 7.9% pa to $250
Best performing handbags 2014-2016
- Hermes 1990s Cognac Leather 40cm Birkin: up 30.0% to $13,000
- Coach 1960s Leather Sling Bag: up 25.0% to $250
- Christian Dior Lady Dior Cannage: up 14.3% to $4,000
- Chanel 2.55 Medium Classic Flap Bag: up 11.1% to $5,000
- Hermes Kelly 32cm Sellier Box Calf: up 10% to $5,500
- Louis Vuitton Classic 25 Monogram Speedy: up 10% to $550
Most valuable handbags in the JustCollecting Handbag Index
- Hermes 1990s Cognac Leather 40cm Birkin: $13,000
- Hermes Kelly 32cm Sellier Box Calf: $5,500
- Chanel 2.55 Medium Classic Flap: $5,000
- Christian Dior Lady Dior Cannage: $4,000
- Chanel Red Caviar Leather Vintage Weekender: $2,000
"The designer handbag sector screams 'investment potential'. Top fashion houses produce only a limited number of bags each year, which means demand far outweighs supply – causing prices to rise," says JustCollecting's Dan Wade.
"It's no surprise to see Chanel, Hermes and Christian Dior among the leading names. Hermes' Birkin and Kelly bags are arguably the two most famous handbags ever created.
"At growth of 10.6% per annum, Chanel's '2.55' Medium Classic Flap Bag was the best performer since 2004. That's due to a surge in appreciation for the bag's timeless style, which – as its name alludes to – was first produced in February, 1955. If you're looking to invest in a 2.55, avoid the 2005 reissue, which has value, but not as much as the original classic."
About the JustCollecting Rare Handbag IndexThe JustCollecting Handbag Index tracks the value of investment-grade regularly traded handbags, using analysis of auctions and private sales, in addition to expert opinion.
Values shown are reflective of "very good" condition examples – unless otherwise stated.