Akronmarbles.com is a website dedicated to the hobby of antique marble collecting.
It focuses on the glass marble industry of Akron, Ohio, where they were mass produced for the American market for the first time during the mid-1880s.
The site includes an extensive history of several Akron marble companies along with information on hand-made and machine-made marbles, toy marble patents, production techniques and the marble industry around the world.
The website has tips on collecting antique marbles, and a comprehensive set of articles on the history of the toy and its production.
Akron marble companies
The site features information on the history of several marble companies, including:
- The S.C. Dyke & Co.
- American Marble and toy Manufacturing Co.
- The Standard Toy Marble Co.
- The Navarre Glass marble and Specialty Co.
- The M.F. Christensen & Son Co.
- The Barberton Glass Novelty Co.
- The Akro Agate Co.
These pages include photographs of the factories, historical documents, images of the marbles they produced and detailed information for collectors.
The site features links and articles for marbles players, including:
- The origins of the game
- The history of marbles tournaments
- Marble shooting techniques
- The story of historic champions such as Alfred Huey
- Links to international tournaments
The site also includes features on the American Marble and Toy Museum, a list of publications on Akron marbles, news on recent discoveries and research projects and links to other marble collectors’ websites.