Fine Art Work Oil Painting Red Rum Race Horse Portrait After Frank Wootton
- 1 Fine Art Work Oil Painting In The Victorian Style Famous Red Rum Thoroughbred Race Horse Portrait Gilt Framed.
- Subject fine portrait of the historic Red Rum horse.
- In the style similar of after Frank Wootton OBE PPGAvA born 30 July 1911 & died on 21 April 1998.
- Wootton was born in Milford on Sea, Hampshire in 1911.
- His mother died while Frank was still of school-age, and he was raised by his father, a seaman in the Merchant Navy.
- He attended art school in 1928 at the age of seventeen, winning a travel scholarship and a gold medal from the Eastbourne School of Art and a prize of £25, which he used to fund a three-month trip to Germany, painting murals.
- Frank Wootton was also an extraordinary landscape and equestrian artist.
- His love of horses was unparalleled and he became vice-President of the Society of Equestrian Artists.
- He was commissioned to paint the greatest steeplechaser of all time, Arkle, in 1966 - 'Arkle with Pat Taaffe up'.
- He also had racehorses in training with Fred Winter.
- For service in World War II, Frank Wootton was awarded the Order of the British Empire in 1995.
- Red Rum bay gelding was born 3 May 1965 and died 18 October 1995.
- He was an historic world famous champion Thoroughbred steeplechaser.
- He achieved an unmatched historic treble when he won the Grand National in 1973, 1974 and 1977.
- The Grand National is a notoriously difficult race that has been described as "the ultimate test of a horse’s courage".
- He was also renowned for his jumping ability, having not fallen in 100 races.
- Indistinctly signed by an unknown artist.
- Oil on board.
- Provenance bought from a private seller.
- Superb brushstroke control which brings the horse to life.
- Set in a decorative gilt plaster wood frame.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- Highly desirable for a horse lover, collector, jockey or stable trainer.
- Circa late 20th century dated 1975.
- Checkout our other listings as if you order 2 or more items we can offer you multi buy discount.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having various foxing staining to the board in places commensurate with age.
- Some repairs have been made to the frame, with a very small piece of wood frame trim missing from the inner frame, also 2 small pin prick holes to the board, noticeable cracking in places to the frame shown.
- International worldwide shipping is available via the ebay global shipping programme centre.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Cash upon collection is welcome.
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.