Fine 20th Century Post Impressionist Oil Painting Cornish Ginger Striped Cats
- 1 Stunning English School Decorative Fine In The Post Impressionism Style Artwork Vintage Mid 20th Century Cornish Ginger Striped Animal Cats After Martin Leman.
- Oil on board depicting beautiful Cornish cats portrait painting.
- In the style of similar to after Martin Leman.
- Leman's work is reminiscent of the style of Henri Rousseau with its bold colors and patterns. Many of his cat subjects are painted with a beach-side background perhaps representing his love of the sea.
- Martin Leman was born in 1934 in London.
- He attended Art school in Worthing which was followed by National Service in Egypt after which he studied at The Central School of Art and Design Holborn.
- For several years he worked as a graphic designer and taught at Hornsey College of Art, London College of Printing, St.Martins School of Art and Medway College of Art.
- His first book of paintings was published in 1979 "Comic & Curious Cats" with text by Angela Carter, he then became a full time painter.
- Since then he has had a further 28 books published as well as 25 one man shows and numerous mixed exhibitions, including the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition where this year his painting was exhibited in the small Weston room.
- He was elected a member of The Royal Society of British Artists in 2007.
- Started painting in 1969 and had his first one man show in London in 1971.
- His work quickly acquired an international reputation through the publication of many books of his cat paintings, which appeared regularly throughout the 1980s and 90s.
- Sir Roy Strong in a foreword to one of Martin's books wrote " I can think of few other contemporary painters who are able so powerfully to distil the essence of cat on to canvas or paper".
- Martin's work of this period has been compared to the portraiture of Tudor times and to Henri Rousseau with their abstract compilations of pattern shape and colour.
- Circa mid 20th century 1960s.
- Beautiful controlled brushwork.
- Set in a fine gilt wood frame.
- With hanging hook on the back ready for immediate home display.
- A most pleasing delightful vibrant scene so happy the colours are so bold so eye catching.
- A superb collectors item.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide friendly professional customer service.
- Unwrapped weight under 2kg approximate.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some noticeable wear staining & scuffs to the board painting surface in places, with various scuffs, stains, wear & small chips to the frame commensurate with usage & age.
- International worldwide shipping is available via ebay global shipping programme please ask.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Cash upon collection is welcome.
- Checkout our other exciting listings available in our shop gallery as if you order 2 or more items we can offer you discount.
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.