English School Oil Painting Prized Sheep Portrait After Thomas Sidney Cooper
- 1 Antique Fine Art 19th Century English School Oil Painting Prized Sheep Portrait After Thomas Sidney Cooper.
- Subject prized sheep portrait in landscape.
- Oil on canvas.
- In the style of to after Thomas Sidney Cooper.
- A superb depiction of the farm country animal breed.
- Unsigned. Thomas Sidney Cooper CVO RA (26 September 1803 – 7 February 1902) was an English landscape painter, noted for his images of cattle and farm animals.
- Thomas Sidney Cooper was born in St Peter's Street in Canterbury, Kent.
- As a small child he began to show strong artistic inclinations, but the circumstances of his family, did not allow him to receive any systematic training.
- By the time he was twelve years old, he was working in the shop of a coach painter.
- Later he obtained a job as a scene painter and he alternated between these two occupations for about eight years.
- He still felt a desire to become an artist, and all his spare moments were spent drawing and painting from nature.
- At the age of twenty he went to London, drew for a while in the British Museum, was admitted as a student of the Royal Academy.
- He is mainly associated with pictures of cattle or sheep, a fact that earned him the epithet 'Cow Cooper'.
- Cooper collaborated between 1847 and 1870 with Frederick Richard Lee R.A. on several paintings, Lee undertaking the landscapes, and Cooper adding animals to complete the scene.
- He was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy (ARA) in 1845 and Royal Academician (RA) on 22 June 1867.
- The oldest member of the Royal Academy of Arts at the time of the accession of King Edward VII in 1901, Cooper was in July 1901 received by the King in audience, and appointed a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO).
- Circa late 19th century 1890's.
- Set in a fine gilt wood frame which has been later over painted.
- Beautiful controlled fine brushwork.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home display.
- A most pleasing delightful scene to the eye.
- A superb investment collectors item.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment. We provide friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Having some wear staining & shrinking to the canvas surface in places with some scuffs, wear & small chips to the frame commensurate with usage & age.
- International worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Cash upon collection is welcome.
- Checkout our other exciting listings available in our shop gallery, if you order 2 or more items we can offer you multi buy discount happy shopping.
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.