Mobil Oil collectibles & memorabilia
Mobil Oil is a major American oil company. Advertising memorabilia related to the brand is a popular area of petroliana
The split of Standard Oil in 1911 led to 34 successor companies. One of these was the Socony-Vacuum Oil Company, who registered the name Mobil Oil as a trademark in 1920.
The product was known as Mobil gas. The logo was a red Pegasus horse, one of the most recognisable gas and oil trademarks.
The company was renamed the Socony Mobil Oil Company in 1955. In 1963, the product ecame known as simply ‘Mobil’ rather than ‘Mobil gas’, and a new logo was introduced.
The products Mobil gas and Mobil gas Special became Mobil Regular and Mobil Premium. It was also known as Mobil lubricant, Mobil fuel and Mobil grease at various times.
‘Socony’ was dropped from the corporate name entirely in 1966.
Collectible items of memorabilia
The most popular collectible Mobil items feature the recognisable logo of the red Pegasus. This logo transformed over the years, from a flight path ascending to the left, to rising to the right. It can be found on all of the following:
- Oil bottles, spouts and cans
- Gas globes
- Vintage advertisements
- Original gas station signs, large neon or metal displays of the flying red horse
- Mobil glassware such as gas station tumblers
- Antique gas pumps
- Toy model Mobil trucks, tankers and SUVs
- Merchandise such as calendars, matchbooks, thermometers, playing cards, ashtrays, coffee mugs, knives, lighters and road maps
Early Mobil products sometimes also featured the Vacuum Oil company red gargoyle logo.
Some believe that as fuel supplies dwindle, gas and oil collectibles will become a thing of the past, a nostalgic item that becomes more and more scarce and valuable to collectors.
At present however, Mobil memorabilia is easy to find on internet auction sites such as eBay, in second hand stores and at garage sales.
Antique and vintage petroliana collectibles are rising steadily in price.
- Mobil Oil service station display, including gas pumps, station lighters with air meter, window washing station and oil rank with oil cans. Sold for $25,000 at RM Auctions in 2008
- Mobil gas neon porcelain sign, sold for $17,000 at RM Auctions in 2006
- Mobil Oil rotating Pegasus neon sign, sold for $5,000 at Showtime Auction Services in 2009
The bookmarklet lets you save things you find to your collections.
Note: Make sure your bookmarks are visible.
Click and drag the Collect It button to your browser's Bookmark Bar.